Tuesday, August 24, 2021


 

Customer Service in Healthcare – A Nice Idea

 

In the summer of 1977, I was 31 years old and working at The Shadyside Hospital of Pittsburgh.  As I recall, my title was third assistant to the eighteenth vice president. 

It was a beautiful summer Sunday morning, and I was driving home from an errand in downtown Pittsburgh.  I stopped at a McDonald’s and purchased a cup of coffee.  I might point that today at age 74 that cup of coffee would be free.              

So, I was driving home in light traffic and started to feel less than ideal.   I could feel my blood pressure rising, my face turned red, my heart was racing, there was a tingling in my extremities, and I was undergoing an unexplainable sense of dread.  By the time I arrived home I thought I was dying.  I asked my wife to call 911 and an ambulance showed up, packed me up liked a sardine and took me to the local community hospital. 

Upon arrival I was given expedited treatment.  My clothes were taken from me, and I was given a blue pastel robe open in the back for the world to view my more natural look.  The emergency room physician ordered my blood pressure, and it was recorded at 210 over 110, an EKG was administered, blood work was taken, and the ER physician performed a physical examination.  All the tests came out fine. 

The emergency physician marched to the beat of a different drummer.   He had so many gold chains around his neck I was fearful that if he bent over, he might snap his neck.  He had a large gold ring on each finger except for his thumbs.  He had long jet-black hair brushed back and held in place with hairspray.   It appeared he needed an entire can of hairspray to hold back that much hair.  I was fearful that someone might light a match near his head, and we will all go up in a puff of smoke.

 

 

The physician could not hide his contempt for me.  He thought I had a “panic attack” occasioned by some underlying emotional problem.  Here is what he said to me.  “Young man, you have to get your emotions under control.”  As a practical matter, what does that mean?  The Beatles flew to Northern India and sought the advice of Maharishi Mahesh Yogi in Rishikesh, India.    Should I have booked a flight to India and found myself a Hindi spiritual advisor?  I do not think so.

Back to the hospital.  Attitude and opinions are like the common cold, they are contagious.  When the rest of the emergency room staff detected the contempt of the emergency room physician for me, they caught the fever.  A nurse threw my clothes at me and asked for the robe back.  I will never forget the written discharge instructions, “Get your emotions under control.”  This was by the way, was all wrong.

What the emergency room physician should have concluded is we are not certain what is going on with you and you should see your primary care physician and get this all sorted out. 

Well, that is what I did, I saw my primary physician and he ran an alternate set of tests and determined that I had an exceedingly rare idiosyncratic allergy to coffee.  In the years since I have been incredibly careful to avoid coffee.  Notwithstanding, there have been several episodes when I ordered decaffeinated coffee in a restaurant, and I have mistakenly been given caffeinated coffee.  It is always a real mess.   I get a blood pressure spikes, my heart starts racing and all the other symptoms I described earlier.  It takes me about 24 hours to sleep it off.  

So, what do we learn from my experience?  For me it would be something like this.  First, there was an absence of professionalism.  Professionalism is the skill, good judgment, and polite behavior that is expected from a person who is trained to do a job well. Professionalism' is commonly understood as an individual's adherence to a set of standards, code of conduct or collection of qualities that characterize accepted practice within a given profession.

I do not think the emergency room physician deported himself in a professional manner.  He looked more like a Las Vegas Hustler.  He was not polite.   Last, he made a clinical conclusion and offered discharge instructions that the prudent man could not comply with. 

An understatement might be that my customer expectations were not met.  There is a simpler definition of professionalism, and it has to do with self-control or self-regulation.  Do you treat people the way you want to be treated?  It is not that complicated.   Over the course of my career, I asked hundreds of physicians, nurses, pharmacists, and other healthcare professionals what their understand of professionalism is.  Often, they simply do not have a working definition or personal philosophy.

Therein lies the solution.  The Medial Schools and Bio-Medical Sciences training programs need to emphasize in their curriculum the importance of professionalism.

I do not exclude healthcare administration from this suggestion.   I personally know several health system CEO that have read their press clippings once too often and behave like barbarians.   Humbly submitted,

 

Jan Ricks Jennings, MHA, LFACHE 

Jan.Jennings@EagleTalons.net

JanJenningsBlog.Blogspot.com

 

412.913.0636 Cell

724.733.0509 Office

  

No comments:

Post a Comment